Edmund, un niño de doce años, intenta sobrevivir a las duras condiciones de la postguerra alemana, especialmente en Berlín, una ciudad que ha quedado completamente derruida tras la Segunda Guerra Mundial.
- Introduction by director Roberto Rossellini from 1963
- Italian-release opening credits and voice-over prologue
- Roberto Rossellini, a 2001 documentary by Carlo Lizzani, assistant director on Germany Year Zero, tracing Rossellini’s career through archival footage and interviews with family members and collaborators, with tributes by filmmakers François Truffaut
- Letters from the Front: Carlo Lizzani on “Germany Year Zero,” a discussion with Lizzani from the 1987 Tutto Rossellini conference
- Interview from 2009 with Rossellini scholar Adriano Aprà
- Interview from 2009 with Italian directors Paolo and Vittorio Taviani (Padre padrone) in which they discuss the profound influence Rossellini’s films have had on them